So I may or may not have mentioned in my last post that we recently had some roof repair done on our house. We didn’t pay for it, because, as I said before, we’ve been in the midst of some financial woes the past few months. And part of those woes included a little accident. In the form of a fire. Started by my oldest child. (God bless him… mom forgive him… I’m still trying.) 😀
He was playing upstairs in the rec room and managed to knock over a candle that was lit by his sister in an attempt to quench the bad smell that we later discovered was coming from the trash can. It fell and started a small fire that lit its way up to our roof. The fire department came and put it out just in time, but it was still a pretty big mess. We contacted our homeowners insurance and they gave us the funds to hire a roofing company to fix it.
I called around and spoke to the owners of a few Charlotte roofing companies, and we finally found one that seemed reputable and gave us an estimate within the budget designated by homeowners insurance. They came out and inspected our roof and decided that it needed repair above the room that was set on fire. Thankfully we didn’t have to get the entire house re-roofed, or I don’t know what I would have done!
I didn’t expect this to happen, but our energy bill has gone down by $100 a month since these guys came out and fixed our roof! I guess the moral of the story is that everything happens for a reason (as cliche as that sounds, and as much as I detest cliches). My husband and I were right in the middle of a financial meltdown and on the verge of separation. So I prayed for God to provide, and it really is true that He works in mysterious ways… ahem. Please pardon the cliche. 😀
I called the energy company to see if maybe they had mistyped our bill, and they said no. Our energy use has significantly decreased. The only culprit I could think of was the roof repair, so I called the roofing company, and they confirmed that the eco-friendly materials they used in the construction job likely contributed to a drastic reduction in our energy bill. Who knew?!
I am one happy mama…